Saturday, January 24, 2009

Michael Terri Studios



Since starting Wed Michigan, I have had the honor of interviewing some of Michigan's most talented photographers. Michael Terri Studios in Kalamazoo, is certainly no exception. Husband and wife duo, Mickey Howell and Terri Maurer run a fabulous "one stop shop" for all your photography and videography needs. After browsing through their portfolio, I was blown away by their work and immediately contacted them. Their soft, romantic, and honest approach to capturing your wedding day makes their work beautiful and timeless.

Be sure to watch the video highlights in the videography section of their website. There is a "hollywood movie" feel to each wedding they shoot, and they do a fantastic job making the bride and groom look like "stars" in their own video!



What is your favorite part about living in Michigan?
I was born and raised in Michigan. It is home. I have lived in San Francisco and New York City, but have always returned to Michigan quite simply because it is my home, and there is no better place to be than home. Of course there are four beautiful seasons which is an added perk.



What inspired both of you to get into photography and videography?
I started photographing as a teenager where I saved up my money for a used 35mm camera. I have always loved photography. I have spent plenty of time working in the darkroom and have shown my personal work at museums and galleries. I also had a book of my work published by Light Impressions of Rochester New York. Later I worked at a commercial and corporate media production company in Grand Rapids where I developed my skills further. Transferring my photo skills to video has been a natural progression. I have learned over the years that I prefer weddings over the corporate /commercial world. Corporate work pays well, but I enjoy the honesty of weddings and the value I can bring to preserving wedding stories.



What is some advice you can give couple's when choosing a photographer/videographer?
Meet your vendors in person to make sure you are comfortable with them. Remember you will be spending your wedding day with them so you want to make sure you are comfortable. Also view their work. It should excite you. If not, move on.



Any memorable weddings you have worked that were your favorite?
We love weddings... fancy ones... and simple ones. They are a lot of work, but also emotionally rewarding.



What unique services do you offer?
We offer both videography and photography. Sometimes photographers and videographers have difficulty getting along. That is never the case with us.

No comments: