Friday, December 12, 2008

lil' Miss Cupcake



Warning: This post may leave you hungry and craving sweets!

A big thank you to Rebecca Heynen of lil' Miss Cupcake in Grand Rapids! I came across her company through Pearl's Events and am so happy to have connected with her. Her cupcakes are taking Grand Rapids by storm and after hearing more about her business, I am convinced that cupcakes are the new wedding cake!

What is your favorite part about living in Michigan?
Living in Grand Rapids, Michigan is still relatively new to me. I was living in New York and my parents moved to Grand Rapids about 5 years ago and I decided to follow them and move here two and a half years ago.

Michigan, however, is not new to me. Both of my parents are from Northern Michigan, so I have been coming to Michigan to visit family throughout my childhood.

I love exploring everything that Grand Rapids has to offer.

I *heart*:

-Eastown
-Gaslight Village
-San Chez Restaurant
-Smooch Beauty Boutique
-Art of the Table
-Pink Blvd.
-Kava House
-The Grand Rapids Area Wedding Vendors (JK Photography, Pearls Events, Amy Carroll Photography, Septembers Bride, Taylor Grey Photography, just to name a few)




Why cupcakes? How did you get started?
I have always made cupcakes. In fact, I love baking in general. I used to make cupcakes for family and work parties. People used to tell me that I should open a bakery.

One day, I was at a career crossroad. I went to a specialty grocery store and bought three cupcakes (yes three!). I sat there eating my cupcakes and I started thinking about my career options. As I inhaled the cupcakes, I had an "Ah Ha" moment! I love to bake so why not make a career out of it. I thought it was worth a shot, I always wanted to do something that I loved and I had finally allowed myself to do it! I have never been happier for following my heart. I have learned that owning a business isn't as easy as simply wanting to bake, there are a lot of other things involved. But my love for baking and my love for meeting/working with great people has kept me going strong!

What is the most unique cupcake you've ever designed for someone?I have made several unique cupcakes. For example, a couple months ago I was asked to make "Fancy Nancy" Cupcakes. I made cupcakes with fondant pearl necklaces, crushed rock candy to look like gems, fondant tiaras, etc. I had an August '08 bride request "funfetti" cupcakes because it was the groom's favorite cake flavor.

I think the most unique cupcake I offer is the Vegan Margarita Cupcake. It is a vegan tequila lime flavored cupcake topped with a lime slice and a sugar rim, looks just like the real thing!



Any advice for couples when choosing their wedding deserts?
The couple should think about what is important to them. Cupcakes are a great choice because you can choose several different flavors, there is no cake-cutting fee, less mess, and they are nostalgic. Plus they are a blank slate, they can go from being cute to elegant with just a couple changes.

What is your favorite flavor that you offer?
My favorite cupcake is the Red Velvet Cupcake. They are so moist and yummy! The cream cheese frosting adds the right amount of sweetness. My husband's favorite flavor is the Carrot Cake Cupcake. Every time I make them, I make extras for him!

As a Michigan Bride, please share your thoughts on getting married in Michigan!
I am a newlywed myself so I understand how difficult the planning process can be. The advice that I can give is to do your research! I have found that Theknot.com and http://www.wedmichigan.blogspot.com are great resources. We had a great experience with all of our vendors but a couple went above and beyond.

We live in Grand Rapids but decided to get married in Holland. The ceremony and reception was at Windmill Island. I highly recommend Windmill Island. The grounds are gorgeous. If you don't want to worry about having to decorate your ceremony location, this is the place! There are so my flowers and beautiful colors! We received nothing but compliments on our location.

We used Hope College Catering for the food. Tim Blackburn is the catering manager and he is fabulous! He really takes the time to understand your wedding day vision. He goes the extra mile to help provide decorations and set up for your day. They do not offer a tasting, however, the food was amazing! It was the best wedding food I have ever had (and I'm not just saying that because it was our wedding!) and we weren't the only ones that said that, everyone did! I was thrilled with Tim and Hope College and would highly recommend them.



Company Information
lil' Miss Cupcake still has dates available for the 2009 wedding season. Even though we are located in Grand Rapids, we offer delivery and set up to any location. Please contact lil' Miss Cupcake for availability. We can be reached at www.lilmisscupcake.com.

{Photos by JK Photography and Amy Carroll Photography}

3 comments:

lil' Miss Cupcake said...

Thank you so much for spotlighting me!!

BREE said...

We utilized lil miss cupcake for our wedding and she is FABULOUS! Guests are still exclaiming how fun, unique and delicious they were! FYI...the pumpkin ones are my absolute favorites!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh I would love to have lil Miss Cupcake create gorgeous cupcakes like these at our wedding!

When my fiance proposed to me with a gorgeous diamond engagement ring from www.idonowidont.com at a cupcake cafe, we want to have a cupcake dessert table for our guests with cute designs on them.

The Fancy Nancy ones sound adorable and we would want something as cute as that for our celebration too!